Saturday, May 7, 2016

MARLON WAYANS TURNS OUT THE FILLMORE THEATER IN DETROIT



A FUNNY NIGHT AT THE FILLMORE!



With nothing planned on a Friday evening yesterday, I was happy when I was told by my good friend Bernard that he had a ticket for me to see Marlon Wayans stand up comedy act at the downtown Fillmore Theater. Now Marlon Wayans is quite the character on the big screen with a no holds barred approach for his movie roles and even when I had the opportunity to interview him on a couple of occasions I was even more surprised at the cool, laid back Marlon that I had encountered. So now I was really quite curious to see how he would be as a stand up comedian, if he would be able to bring the funny without any support from his family or comedic friends that are normally co-stars with him in films. To warm up the crowd at the Fillmore was another Wayans family member, Marlon's niece Chaunte Wayans who was impressively funny during her thirty minute set that was filled with mostly jokes centered around her being a lesbian and about her being from the less famous and wealthy side of the Wayans family. She then incited the packed theater to give it up for Marlon to take the stage who would start off by thanking the audience for what he called a rock/rap star's welcome even thou unlike a rock/rap star he doesn't have the budget for an elaborate stage, instead all he has is a mic and a stupid stool to sit on. And from that point on he had the crowd rolling will laughter. There was no subject that was off limits, he had jokes about pretty much all the current events and people, from Jay Z, Beyonce, Trump and yes even Micheal Jackson and Prince. Again nothing and no one was off limits, but what he talked about was on point just like his comedic timing. He single handedly blew up the stage and I must say I really enjoyed his show. Now I only hope that I can have the opportunity one day to catch a show with him and his brothers Keenan, Damon and Shawn during one of their tours, now that is on my bucket list...LOL!!! This is my life, the life of The Reel Hustler!

No comments:

Post a Comment