Friday, August 18, 2017

BONEY JAMES WSG ALTHEA RENE AT CHENE PARK






GETTING DOWN ON THE BONE!
The rain came pouring down, the lightning flashed and the thunder boomed. It was not looking good early on in the day for the Wednesday Night Jazz Concert Series set for the Chene Park Amphitheater located at the Detroit river front. I just knew for sure that this would break the streak of the previous beautiful concert nights at the venue. So what I do next to see if the show might get cancelled was go to the Facebook page of Sulaiman Mausi, the general manager for Chene Park Detroit. He sternly posted that the show would go on, that the rain storm would pass by 7 pm and that would pose a brief delay causing the show to start at 8 pm instead of 7:30 pm. So sure enough the rain stopped and so I hitched up my equipment and off I went to the show. With the sky clear and the heat subdued, it did turn out to be another beautiful night off the water front. To top it off was a great night of jazz, first starting out was Althea Rene, a former Detroit native who is a flutist known for playing soulful smooth jazz. This was my first time seeing the woman flutist perform, but let me just say that I was definitely not disappointed. She is a bad lady on that flute. She loosened up the almost sold out capacity filled theater that I thought would have shied away because of the earlier rain conditions, with songs from her various albums. After a very brief intermission the main attraction came to the stage to bring it home and yes Boney James did just that. The jazz saxophonist along with his band took the audience out of their seats and on a musical journey as he blew tune after tune of his hits. To hear him play, and it doesn't hurt for it to be outside with some awesome weather, you will know why he is considered a legend. I am so glad that I did not pass up on this show, it was worth the late start.
The summer is winding down and the shows are getting fewer, so now is the time to check the schedule listing and take advantage of the remaining shows. Go to www.CheneParkDetroit.com for the concert list and I look forward to seeing you at a show or two...but better act now or miss out!
This is my life, the life of THE REEL HUSTLER!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment